Friday, January 05, 2007

Yooooohooooo!!!

I'm back. I haven't blogged in awhile just because I really haven't had a lot to say. Especially about dancing. But I felt inspired today. Last week I went to the Barking Dog in Bethesda, Maryland. Normally, I don't enjoy going there. I rarely get asked to dance for some reason and find myself getting bored. The venue is great and I love the lack of smoking but sick of the egos roaming around. I went on this paticular night since a friend was performing with a different rueda group. In addition, they were having the first performance by a new all-women group. Generally, all-women or all-men groups bore me. Its a lot of shines and, for the women, dancing as sexy as possible without really showing any ability. It was different for this group. They were amazing. They really focused a lot on Afro-cuban styling and also danced as partners with everyone getting a chance to lead. And they didn't lead Micky Mouse moves. These were hard, arm-tangling moves. Impressive. They were feminine, sexy, smooth, and beautiful. A hard combination to realize in salsa I think. I hope all the women there were proud of these girls who decided to do something different.

No comments: