Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I'm Cranky About This

I'm not a huge feminist. I'm all for women doing what they want, when they want, how they want. If that means parading around in nothing or little-to-nothing, fine. If they want to be on Girls Gone Wild. Fine. I just consider there to be a time and place for everything. Just because I think women can do what they want, doesn't mean I respect them more for it. South Beach is having a big salsa party/one year anniversary party thing this Thursday. Included in the night's festivities is a "sexy bikini contest". Who wears bikinis? Women. Who usually judges? Men. Again - sure - enter the contest. But seriously? What does it have to do with salsa? Nada. It is just a reason to get more men out. Why? To oogle women and make them a piece of meat. At a salsa event. Where we're supposed to be dancing. Mingling. If this was spring break... at the beach (a true beach)... something like that where the wearing of a bikini is normal, great. Go for it. Otherwise, I think its stupid. Are men allowed to enter? Are they going to have a Men's Speedo Contest? Doubt it. Why? Because us women don't make men into pieces of meat that we want to conquer and take to bed and then kick out in the morning. Ok ok. That's not all men but really, when you're up on stage, in a skimpy bikini, asking the men to vote if you're hot or not, do you think they want to take you home to mom and marry you? Probably not.


Unfortunately, I won't go back to South Beach. Not that it and most of its stupid on2 snobs will miss me, but, still.

No comments: